As most of you probably know, the museum uses technology in many ways to serve its members. Each time you buy a Doris Duke Theatre film ticket online, check in at ARTafterDARK through a tablet, or receive this e-newsletter, you are experiencing a specialized digital system.
What you may not know is that in April 2015, the museum took a good hard look at these individual systems and decided that we could do better. Then the museum’s digital content manager Lauren Oh discovered Tessitura, a software platform capable of unifying the museum’s many visitor-facing fronts—from walk-in ticketing and online event sales to membership sign-ups and mobile accessibility. Deputy director Hathaway Jakobsen liked what she saw and set the project in motion. In July 2015, Lauren and our IT network administrator Peter Helto and IT manager Aaron Hara began working closely with Tessitura staff to put the new system in place.
This major museum-changing project would not have been possible without the generosity of donors Linda Ahlers (who is also a trustee), Ritu and Rajiv Batra, Henrietta and David Whitcomb, and an anonymous donor.
In April 2016, the museum launched the first phase of Tessitura implementation with Art School class registrations. If you enrolled in a class online, you saw the results for yourselves—gone were the days of error messages and slow load times.
On July 7, 2016, the museum officially rolled out Tessitura for the rest of the museum, and we are confident that you will all soon be enjoying the benefits it will add to your HoMA experiences.
Here’s how Tessitura serves you:
- Your online account: Every visitor to our site has the ability to create a new online profile where they can list preferences for receiving museum communications, sign up for e-newsletters, view purchase history, and check membership status.
- Streamlined online purchases: Classes, theater tickets, Shangri La tours, parking passes, memberships, and donations all go to the same cart. It’s never been easier to purchase a new membership, renew, or make a donation to the museum.
- New mobile experience: Users visiting our site on a mobile device will be directed to our first mobile website, which can also be experienced in our new smartphone app (Apple and Android compatible). In both settings, you can log in to your account, see your membership card (valid for front-desk and event check-ins), purchase event tickets, access information about the museum, and peruse our blog, YouTube channel, and social media feeds.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Set up your account: Museum members have accounts waiting for them—all you have to do is click Forgot your password? to set up your login (use the email associated with your membership). Not a member? Click here to register for a new account.
2. Get the HoMA Info + Member Card app: Search “Honolulu Museum of Art” in the Apple App Store or Google Play to find and download our new app. Once inside, go to “My account” to log in and view your membership card. You can also find your card by going to honolulumuseum.org on your mobile device’s web browser. Not a smartphone user? Stop by the new membership services desk at our Beretania Street location to have a plastic membership card printed with your name and unique barcode on the spot.
Have more questions? Give us a call Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, at 808-532-8724 to speak with member services.